Kinross is a carvel timber motor launch designed by William S. Hand, one of America’s most prolific boat designers. She was built by Jack Allen in Brighton, Victoria and launched in 1927. Dimensions are approximately 38 feet in length, 10 feet beam and 2 feet 6 inch draft.
Constructed in New Zealand kauri planking and fully restored by Pompei’s of Mordialloc, Victoria in the mid 1990s including full super structure rebuild, full interior fit out, new electrical, plumbing, gas and fridges and upgrading structural integrity. A top specified Yamaha 75 hp, 3 cylinder, turbo charged marine diesel was fitted in 2000. To improve longevity the hull was dynel sheathed below the waterline.
Kinross has again been restored, internally totally remodeled, refitted and refurbished in 2015 and so, with some regular minor maintenance, should see her 100 year anniversary in 2027 in better than new condition.
She was originally used as a pleasure craft on Port Philip, volunteered as a Patrol Boat on Port Philip during World War 2 and was Royal Brighton Yacht Club Commodore vessel during the 1930s and 1940s. Kinross was based in Metung and enjoyed recreationally on the Gippsland Lakes between 1990 and 2018.
See the original Motor Boating Magazine description of the design from the 1920s in the file here.